You’ve finally decided that it’s time to revamp your home’s floors. You have a pretty good idea of what type of surface you want to go with. Some basic thoughts on color scheme. And maybe even a general budget that you are looking to spend for the job. But now comes the most important part of the whole process. It’s time to do some research and pick the perfect flooring contractor.
When it comes to selecting a flooring contractor, the most important thing to keep in mind is that they are not all equal. Renovating the floors in your home is not just some easy task that anyone can accomplish. Doing it right requires skill and creativity, which means that the company you choose will have a major impact on the eventual look and feel of your home. With such an important decision at hand, it would be a smart idea to follow these 5 tips that will help you choose the right flooring contractor for your project.
1. Make sure they’re licensed and insured. This simple task can be done before you even schedule an estimate just by asking over the phone. If for any reason they tell you they are not fully licensed or insured, it’s time to move on to a different company. If they say they are licensed and insured, have them email or fax you a copy. The same goes for any subcontractors they may employ on your job, who also need to carry worker’s compensation and liability insurance. If they don’t, you could be held liable if something happens on your property.
2. Ask for examples of similar work they’ve done. Whether you are looking to install a hardwood floor, tile, carpet, or anything else, you should ask any Tampa Bay flooring contractor you are considering to show you some examples of similar work they’ve done. Some may be great at installing carpet, which may not help you if you are looking to hire them for a tile job. In most cases, contractors who have done similar work should be able to show you pictures.
3. Ask for references. Flooring contractors who are great at their job will often have past customers who are willing to quickly discuss their services with prospective clients. Get this information, and give these people a call. They will be happy to tell you all about their experience with the contractor you are considering. Just remember that they are volunteering their time, so please be respectful of them.
4. Find out who will be at your home, and who will be supervising. As a homeowner, knowing about who will be working on your property is vital. It is also important to know a bit about the person who will be in charge. Often, the supervisor does not have to be at the job site all day, every day. This is perfectly fine. But you should make sure that your flooring contractor is open to giving you the supervisor’s direct contact information. That way, if something goes wrong, you will know exactly who to reach out to.
5. Don’t make it all about money. Yes, everybody likes a good deal. But as you read earlier, every flooring contractor is not on the same skill level. Calling around and getting multiple estimates on your job is fine. But do not just choose the cheapest one. Follow all of the above tips, think about how important your home is to you, and choose the flooring contractor that you are the most comfortable with.